Orange pull-apart bread is a breakfast dream! This homemade brunch treat features soft and pillowy bread with a gooey brown sugar-orange coating.
- 3 1/2 cups (490 g) flour, divided
- 1 packet (7 g) instant yeast
- 1/4 cup (50 g) sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 cup (240 g) whole milk
- 1/4 cup (56 g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 large egg (50 g), at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (112 g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup (100 g) sugar
- 1/2 cup (110 g) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp (12 g) fresh orange zest
- 1 tsp (4 g) vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp (14 g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 tsp (4 g) fresh orange zest
- 2 Tbsp (30 g) fresh orange juice
- 3/4 cup (90 g) powdered sugar
- For the dough, combine 2 cups (280 g) flour, yeast, sugar, salt, and nutmeg in a large mixer bowl; mix on low speed until incorporated. Heat milk in a microwave-safe measuring cup for 45 seconds to 1 minute, until very warm (120-130°F).
- Add warm milk, butter, and egg to flour mixture and mix until combined; mix in remaining 1 1/2 cups (210 g) flour. Switch out the flat beater for a dough hook, and knead dough for 3 minutes, until smooth and elastic. The dough is ready when it feels tacky but doesn’t stick to your fingers (if necessary, add additional flour 1 tablespoon at a time while kneading).
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with nonstick spray and cover with plastic. Let the dough rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour. To check if dough has doubled, lightly flour two fingers and press them down into center of dough. If indentations remain, gently press down dough; cover and let rest 5 minutes. Spray a 10-cup bundt pant generously with nonstick spray.
- For the coating, combine melted butter, sugar, brown sugar, orange zest, and vanilla in a medium bowl. Whisk until smooth.
- Form approximately 24 1 1/2-inch balls of dough. Gently roll the balls, one by one, in the brown sugar coating and arrange in the prepared bundt pan. Add any leftover coating to the pan and cover the pan with plastic wrap. Let rest for 20 minutes while preheating oven to 350°F.
- Bake pull-apart bread for 40 minutes, until golden brown and the internal temperature reaches 190-200°F. Cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack, then carefully invert onto a serving plate. Let cool for 20 minutes.
- For the glaze, whisk together melted butter, salt, orange zest and juice, and powdered sugar in a small bowl. Drizzle glaze over bread and and let set before serving.
- Pull-apart bread tastes best the first day. Wrap leftovers in foil and store at room temperature for 1 day; re-warm in a 300°F oven before serving.
Cinnamon Variation: If you’d prefer to make a cinnamon version of this pull-apart bread, simply omit the orange zest from the brown sugar coating and add in 2 teaspoons of cinnamon. Swap the citrus glaze for a vanilla butter glaze: whisk together 1 tablespoon melted butter, 1/8 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 3/4 cup powdered sugar, and 2 tablespoons milk in a small bowl until smooth.
Keywords: Orange, Pull-Apart Bread, Breakfast, Brunch