Topped with a sweet and tangy lemon drizzle, these soft and pillowy Meyer lemon cream scones make a scrumptious breakfast.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp Meyer lemon zest
- 3 cups flour
- 1 Tbsp aluminum free baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 to 1 1/2 cups cold heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp cold heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 tsp Meyer lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp Meyer lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp heavy cream
- For the scones, line two rimmed baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Combine sugar and Meyer lemon zest in a food processor and pulse for 1 minute. Whisk together Meyer lemon-sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Combine vanilla extract with 1 1/3 cups heavy cream; drizzle cream over flour mixture and fold in just until flour is incorporated and a shaggy dough forms – if needed, add 2 more tablespoons cream.
- Divide dough in half and turn out on a lightly floured board. Use lightly floured hands to pat each half into a 6-inch circle. Place the two circles of dough on prepared baking sheets and cut each circle into 7 wedges. Chill baking sheets in the freezer for 20 minutes while preheating oven to 425°F.
- Pull the wedges slightly apart, leaving an inch between them, and brush lightly with heavy cream and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 16 to 17 minutes, rotating baking sheets halfway through, until tops are set, edges are beginning to turn golden, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool scones for 5 minutes on baking sheets before removing to a wire rack to cool.
- For the glaze, whisk together powdered sugar, salt, Meyer lemon zest and juice, and heavy cream in a small bowl. Drizzle glaze over scones and let set before serving.
Make ahead: Cut each circle of dough into wedges on baking sheet; cover and freeze overnight. Brush with cream, sprinkle with sugar, and bake directly from the freezer, adding 1-2 minutes to baking time. For longer storage, transfer frozen scones to a freezer bag until ready to use.
- Calories: 215
- Carbohydrates: 38
Keywords: Meyer Lemon, Lemon, Cream Scone, Scones, Breakfast