Chocolate hazelnut star bread is a breakfast dream! Sweet yeast dough layered with creamy chocolate hazelnut spread makes the most delicious star bread!
- 3 1/2 cups (490 g) flour, divided
- 1 package Red Star PLATINUM Yeast
- 1/4 cup (50 g) sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup (240 g) low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup (56 g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 3 Tbsp (42 g) unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup (228 g) chocolate hazelnut spread
- 1 Tbsp (14 g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 Tbsp (12.5 g) sugar
- Combine 2 cups (280 g) flour, yeast, sugar, and salt in a large mixer bowl; mix on low speed until incorporated. Heat milk in a microwave-safe measuring cup for 45 seconds to 1 minute, until very warm (120-130°F).
- Add warm milk, butter, and egg to flour mixture and mix until combined; mix in remaining 1 1/2 cups (210 g) flour. Switch out the flat beater for a dough hook, and knead dough for 4 minutes until smooth and elastic. The dough is ready when it feels tacky but doesn’t stick to your fingers (if necessary, add additional flour 1 tablespoon at a time while kneading).
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with nonstick spray and cover with plastic. Let the dough rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 40 minutes. To check if dough has doubled, lightly flour two fingers and press them down into center of dough. If indentations remain, gently press down dough; cover and let rest 5 minutes.
- Turn dough out on a lightly floured board and divide into four equal pieces. Shape each piece into a ball, and let rest for 5 minutes. While the dough rests, transfer chocolate hazelnut spread to a bowl and warm in the microwave for 15 seconds or until easy to spread.
- Roll one piece of dough out into a 10-inch circle and transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Spread with softened butter, leaving a 1/4-inch border. Spread approximately 3 tablespoons chocolate hazelnut spread over the dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border.
- Roll out the second piece of dough into a 10-inch circle, and stack on top of the first piece of dough. Spread with softened butter and chocolate hazelnut spread, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Repeat process with remaining dough, leaving the top circle bare.
- Place a 2-inch round cutter in the center of the dough; press gently to leave an imprint. Use a sharp knife to cut the circle into 4 equal sections, from the imprint in the center to the edge, cutting through all the layers. Wipe knife clean and cut each section into 4 equal strips, for a total of 16 strips.
- Using both hands, pick up 2 adjacent dough strips and twist them away from each other twice. Pinch the ends of the strips together firmly. Repeat with remaining strips of dough, for a total of 8 points. Cover the star loosely with plastic and let rise in a warm place until puffy, about 25 minutes. While the star rises, preheat oven to 375°F.
- Brush dough gently with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for about 25 minutes, until golden. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool for 20 minutes before dusting with powdered sugar and serving.
Keywords: Chocolate, Hazelnut, Star Bread, Holiday Bread