Caramel apple coffee cake makes the best fall breakfast! You’ll love this buttery cake layered with caramelized apples, streusel topping and caramel sauce!
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp ice water
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 cups diced apples
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup salted caramel sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray an 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick spray; dust lightly with flour.
- For the streusel, whisk together flour, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl. Cook butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it foams, turns clear, and then turns a medium brown, about 5 minutes. Pour browned butter into a glass measuring cup and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Add cooled butter to flour mixture and mix in with a fork until completely incorporated. Add ice water and mix in until streusel is crumbly. Chill until ready to use.
- For the apples, melt butter in the same saucepan over medium heat. Add apples, sugar, and cinnamon; cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until apples start to caramelize and slightly soften. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- For the cake, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter, sugar, and vanilla in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add egg and yolk one at a time and beat well. Combine yogurt and buttermilk in a small bowl. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture in three additions, alternating with yogurt mixture (begin and end with flour mixture).
- Spoon the batter into prepared pan and smooth with an offset spatula. Tap sharply to reduce air bubbles. Use a slotted spoon to spoon apples over the batter, leaving juices behind. Sprinkle chilled streusel over apples.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, until coffee cake is golden, springs back to the touch, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs (start testing after 45 minutes, baking time will vary based on moisture from the apples). Cool in pan on a wire rack for at least 1 hour before topping with caramel sauce and serving.
Keywords: Apple, Caramel, Salted Caramel, Coffee Cake, Breakfast