Light and fluffy baked blood orange ricotta doughnuts dipped in naturally pink blood orange glaze make the best breakfast!
- 2 cups cake flour (see note below)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese, at room temperature
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp blood orange zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp pure almond extract
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp blood orange zest
- 2 Tbsp blood orange juice
- Preheat oven to 425°F and spray a standard doughnut pan with nonstick spray. Whisk together cake flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Combine buttermilk, ricotta, eggs, melted butter, blood orange zest, vanilla, and almond extract in a medium bowl; add to flour mixture and fold in just until incorporated.
- Spoon batter into a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip and fill each doughnut cup 3/4 full. Tap the pan sharply to reduce air bubbles.
- Bake about 8 minutes, until the tops spring back when touched. Turn doughnuts out on a wire rack to cool completely (loosen doughnuts from pan with a spatula if needed). Repeat with remaining batter, allowing pan to cool completely and spraying with nonstick spray in between batches.
- For the glaze, whisk together melted butter, powdered sugar, salt, blood orange zest, and juice until smooth. Set rack with cooled doughnuts over a piece of waxed paper. Dip doughnut tops into glaze. If desired, top with sprinkles and let set before serving.
To make your own cake flour: place 2 tablespoons cornstarch in an empty 1-cup measure, then top up with flour. Sift the mixture several times to evenly distribute the cornstarch.
Baking powder: Use an aluminum-free baking powder to prevent the doughnuts and glaze from turning blue/discoloring.
The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products I use and love!
Keywords: Blood Orange, Ricotta, Doughnuts, Donut, Breakfast