The BEST blood orange bundt cake! Simple and delicious, you’ll love this bright and buttery citrus bundt topped with naturally pink glaze!
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3 Tbsp fresh blood orange zest
- 10 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp pure almond extract
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 2 Tbsp fresh blood orange juice
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 tsp blood orange zest
- 2 Tbsp blood orange juice
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 10-cup bundt pan generously with nonstick spray. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Combine sugar and blood orange zest in a food processor and pulse for 1 minute; combine with butter in a large mixer bowl and beat on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Reduce speed to low and add eggs one at a time; mix in vanilla and almond extract. Combine buttermilk and blood orange juice in a small bowl. Beat in flour mixture in three additions, alternating with buttermilk mixture (begin and end with flour mixture), just until incorporated.
- Spoon batter into prepared bundt pan and smooth with an offset spatula. Tap pan sharply to reduce air bubbles.
- Bake for 38 to 42 minutes, until cake is golden, springs back to the touch, and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes; carefully invert onto rack and cool completely.
- For the glaze, whisk together melted butter, salt, blood orange zest and juice, and powdered sugar in a small bowl. Drizzle glaze over cake and let set before serving.
Baking powder: Use an aluminum-free baking powder to prevent the cake and glaze from turning blue/discoloring.
Mini Bundt Cakes – To make individual blood orange cakes, use a mini bundt pan. Depending on the size of the pan, this recipe will make 6 to 8 mini bundt cakes. Baking time will be approximately 24 to 26 minutes.
The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products I use and love!
Keywords: Blood Orange, Bundt Cake, Citrus Bundt