zucchini spice bread
As the late-summer mornings turn breezy and cool, my breakfast cravings have shifted too – a tender slice of zucchini-flecked bread is a scrumptious way to ease the end-of-season blues. Flavored with warming spices, vanilla, and brown sugar, zucchini spice bread is just the thing to devour warm with coffee.
With an irresistible brown sugar crumb topping, it’s no surprise that I’m reaching for slice after slice of this quick bread. Enjoy with a slather of good butter (or Mascarpone), and prepare to chase down every last crumb!
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- pinch of cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted and slightly cooled
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- For the crumb topping, combine brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon in a small bowl; add vanilla and melted butter and toss mixture with a fork until crumbly. Chill topping until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray. For the bread, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, nutmeg, and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Combine zucchini, sugars, coconut oil, buttermilk, egg, and vanilla in a medium bowl; add to flour mixture and fold in just until combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan and smooth top with an offset spatula; sprinkle with crumb topping. Bake for 50 minutes, until bread is golden and springs back to the touch. Bread is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs attached. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes; carefully remove bread from pan and cool completely.
- Calories: 215
- Carbohydrates: 35
Keywords: Zucchini, Spice, Quick Bread
More quick bread recipes you’ll love: