vanilla chai sugar cookie bars
Soft and buttery vanilla chai sugar cookie bars topped with swirls of vanilla frosting are holiday perfection! I love these sugar cookie bars because they come together quickly, they’re super versatile, and they’re delicious!
Perfect Sugar Cookie Bars
Cookie Bars – Soft and buttery, the cookie bars feature my favorite blend of chai spices. Cornstarch gives the cookie bars an ultra soft, melt-in-your-mouth texture.
Frosting – The vanilla frosting is sweet, creamy, and delicious! Vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste both work beautifully here.
Assemble – One the cookie bars are completely cool, use an offset spatula to swirl vanilla frosting over the top. Top with holiday sprinkles and chill for 15 minutes to set the frosting before cutting into bars.
If you’re hosting a group for the holidays or making treats for a cookie swap, this recipe easily doubles for a 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Simply double the ingredients and bake as directed (the baking time will remain the same). Let the bars cool completely, top with frosting, and enjoy!
Soft and buttery vanilla chai sugar cookie bars topped with swirls of vanilla frosting!
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (or vanilla bean paste)
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp milk
- Holiday sprinkles, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8-inch square metal baking pan with parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices in a small bowl. Beat butter and sugar in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until creamy. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture; beat just until incorporated.
- Scrape dough into prepared pan and use a piece of wax paper lightly coated with nonstick spray to press dough evenly into pan. Bake bars for 22 to 24 minutes, until edges are golden, top is set, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely in baking pan on a wire rack.
- For the frosting, beat butter and salt in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until smooth. Beat in vanilla. Reduce speed to low and beat in powdered sugar until incorporated. Add milk and mix on low speed until combined, then beat on medium speed for 1 minute, until light and airy.
- Lift parchment and place cookie bars on a cutting board. Use an offset spatula to swirl frosting over the bars and top with sprinkles. Chill for 15 minutes in the refrigerator to set frosting before cutting into bars with a sharp knife. Store leftover bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
This recipe easily doubles for a 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Simply double the ingredients and bake as directed (the baking time will remain the same).
Keywords: Chai, Chai Spice, Vanilla, Cookie Bars, Bars