toasted coconut chocolate granola
Happy February! We’ve made it through the toughest month of the year (I’m sure your workout routine has been on point lately!) and now it’s time to treat ourselves to toasted coconut chocolate granola. Every so often, it’s nice to give my go-to granola a mini upgrade. Today’s variation features toasted coconut, dark chocolate chunks, and roasted hazelnuts to make each golden cluster the absolute best.
Think of this recipe as merely a formula, and make it your own – swap out the hazelnuts for almonds or roasted macadamia nuts, add a handful of dried cherries when you stir in the dark chocolate, or sweeten with maple syrup instead of honey. Once you memorize the formula, you’ll realize how easily homemade granola can be within your reach.
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup shaved unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, chopped
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp honey
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg white, at room temperature
- 2 oz dark chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 300°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Combine oats, coconut, hazelnuts, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Add coconut oil, honey, and vanilla; toss to coat. Whisk egg white in a small bowl until frothy (about 1 minute); add to oat mixture and toss to coat.
- Use an offset spatula to spread mixture into an even layer on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, then use a large spatula to flip sections of granola. Press back into an even layer, rotate pan, and bake another 20 minutes. When granola is golden and feels dry to the touch, turn off oven and leave pan in oven for another 10 minutes to continue drying.
- Remove pan from oven and place on a wire rack to cool completely (the granola crisps as it cools). When completely cool, break into clusters and stir in dark chocolate. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 1 to 2 weeks.
If your oven runs hot, bake granola at 290°F.
- Serving Size: 2/3 cup
- Calories: 290
- Carbohydrates: 42