- 2 cups cake flour (see note below)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp tangerine zest
- 1/4 cup fresh tangerine juice
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp tangerine zest
- 2 Tbsp fresh tangerine juice
- Tangerine slices, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray two 12-cup standard muffin pans with nonstick spray. Whisk together cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Beat butter and sugar in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until fluffy. Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, and beat until combined; beat in vanilla and tangerine zest. Combine tangerine juice and buttermilk in a small bowl. Reduce speed to low and add half of flour mixture to sugar mixture; beat just until combined. Add buttermilk mixture, then finish with remaining flour mixture.
- Using an electric hand mixer with clean and dry beaters, beat egg whites and cream of tartar in a clean bowl at high speed until stiff peaks form. Using a spatula, carefully fold egg whites into the cake batter in 2 additions. Spoon batter evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake 20-22 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. Cool tea cakes for 2 minutes in the pans on a wire rack, then carefully remove from pans and place them on the wire rack to cool completely.
- For the glaze, whisk together powdered sugar, tangerine zest, and juice in a small bowl. Set rack with tea cakes over a piece of wax paper and dip tops of each cake into glaze; let glaze set before serving. Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 days.
To make your own cake flour: Place 2 tablespoons cornstarch in an empty 1-cup measure, then top up with flour. Sift the mixture several times to evenly distribute the cornstarch.
Keywords: Tangerine, Citrus, Tea Cakes, Cupcakes