strawberry rhubarb swirl bundt cake
Strawberry rhubarb swirl bundt cake is the perfect cake to celebrate strawberry season! Featuring a pretty pink strawberry rhubarb swirl and glaze, this plush and golden bundt cake is ideal for sharing with those you love (here’s looking at you, Mother’s Day!).
To make the swirl, we combine sliced strawberries and rhubarb with sugar and a pinch of salt. Transformed over the heat into a quick stovetop jam, this delicious sauce becomes our swirl (and a few tablespoons are whisked with powdered sugar for the most lovely glaze).
Bake the bundt cake until golden, then let cool completely before drizzling with strawberry rhubarb glaze. If you’re feeling extra indulgent, serve slices topped with vanilla bean ice cream or billows of honey whipped cream and fresh strawberries.
Bundt Cake Tips
- The strawberry rhubarb sauce can be made up to 2 days in advance. Once the sauce has cooled to room temperature, cover the bowl and refrigerate until ready to use. If you can’t find rhubarb, feel free to swap in additional strawberries.
- Bring all of your cake ingredients to room temperature before beginning. When your butter, eggs, egg yolk, and buttermilk are all at room temperature, they mix together uniformly.
- To create the swirl, spoon half of the cake batter into the prepared bundt pan. Smooth the batter with an offset spatula and tap the pan sharply to reduce air bubbles. Top with spoonfuls of strawberry rhubarb sauce and use a toothpick to very gently swirl the sauce into the batter. Spoon the remaining cake batter evenly over the sauce, carefully smoothing with an offset spatula. Tap the pan sharply again to reduce air bubbles.
- Bake cake until golden and the top springs back to the touch. A tester inserted in the center should come out with a few crumbs attached. Your baking time may vary depending on the shape of your bundt pan, so start testing for doneness after 40 minutes.
- This bundt cake can be made one day in advance. Let cool completely and store at room temperature overnight. Add the glaze 1 hour before serving.
Strawberry rhubarb swirl bundt cake is beautiful and delicious! Featuring a strawberry rhubarb swirl and glaze, you will love this cake for any occasion!
Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced rhubarb
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 tsp aluminum-free baking powder*
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 10 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp pure almond extract
- 2 large eggs plus 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- pinch of salt
- 2 Tbsp strawberry rhubarb sauce (reserved from above)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 Tbsp milk
- For the strawberry rhubarb sauce, combine strawberries, rhubarb, sugar, and salt in a saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring frequently, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, until strawberries are tender. Strain strawberry mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl, pressing firmly on berries to release juice. Return strawberry mixture to saucepan and whisk in lemon juice and cornstarch until smooth; let simmer until slightly thickened, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and pour into a bowl to cool. Refrigerate sauce until ready to use.
- For the cake, preheat oven to 350°F and butter and flour a 10-cup bundt pan. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Beat butter and sugar in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Reduce speed to low and add eggs and egg yolk one at a time. Beat in vanilla and almond extracts until incorporated. With mixer on low speed, beat in flour mixture in three additions, alternating with buttermilk (begin and end with flour mixture), just until incorporated.
- Spoon half of the batter into prepared bundt pan and smooth with an offset spatula. Tap pan sharply to reduce air bubbles. Top batter with spoonfuls of strawberry rhubarb sauce, reserving 2 tablespoons of sauce for the glaze. Use a toothpick to very gently swirl the sauce into the batter. Spoon remaining batter evenly over the sauce, and carefully smooth with an offset spatula. Tap pan sharply again to reduce air bubbles.
- Bake for 44 to 48 minutes, until cake is golden, springs back to the touch, and a tester inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs attached. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes; carefully invert onto rack and cool completely.
- For the glaze, whisk together melted butter, salt, strawberry rhubarb sauce, powdered sugar, and milk in a small bowl. Drizzle glaze over cooled cake and let set before serving. Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature.
Baking pan: I used this Brilliance Bundt Pan. Baking powder: Use an aluminum-free baking powder to keep your cake from turning blue.
Recipe inspired by Rhubarb Swirl Pound Cake, Cook: Real Food Every Day March/April 2019
Keywords: Strawberry, Rhubarb, Bundt Cake, Bundt