strawberries & cream ice cream
Grab a stack of waffle cones or your favorite bowl because it’s ice cream time! If you like cool and creamy treats as much as I do, you won’t want to miss out on a batch of strawberries and cream ice cream.
Light and luscious pure vanilla bean ice cream meets ribbons of fresh strawberry sauce for a sweet delight. A touch of cream cheese in the ice cream base adds a subtle tang that pairs beautifully with smooth vanilla beans. I hope your ice cream bowl is chilling in the freezer, ready to go!
- 3 cups sliced strawberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 Tbsp water
- 4 tsp cornstarch
- 2 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 4 cups half-and-half, divided
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- 2 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 Tbsp vodka
- 1/8 tsp salt
- For the sauce, combine strawberries and sugar in a saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. When mixture begins to bubble, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl and discard solids; return strained mixture to saucepan. Whisk water and cornstarch together in a small bowl. Add to strawberry mixture and continue cooking until thickened, 1 or 2 minutes. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature, then chill in the refrigerator.
- For the ice cream, whisk together cornstarch and 1/4 cup half-and-half in a small bowl; set aside. Combine remaining half-and-half, sugar, honey, and vanilla bean seeds in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir constantly for 4 minutes; whisk in cornstarch mixture. Return to a boil and cook for 1 to 2 more minutes, stirring until thickened. Place cream cheese in a large bowl; gradually whisk in hot mixture until smooth. Whisk in vodka and salt. Let mixture cool to room temperature, then cover and chill for 6 hours in the refrigerator.
- Pour chilled ice cream mixture into frozen cylinder of ice cream maker; freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. Spoon a third of the mixture into a freezer-safe container; top with dollops of strawberry sauce. Repeat with remaining mixture and sauce. Swirl layers together with a wooden skewer, then place in the freezer for several hours, until firm.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 230