This is a classic, old-fashioned spice bundt cake filled with warming spices and topped with homemade butterscotch sauce! Dark brown sugar adds rich notes of caramel that complement the spices perfectly and unsweetened applesauce ensures a moist cake.
- 2 1/2 cups (350 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 g) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp (6 g) ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp (4 g) ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup (168 g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup (200 g) dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (100 g) granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup (75 g) neutral baking oil
- 2 tsp (8 g) vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs (100 g), at room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk (18 g), at room temperature
- 1 cup (240 g) unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup (120 g) shredded apple
- homemade butterscotch sauce
- chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Make cake: Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter and sugars in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until soft and creamy, about 2 minutes. Beat in oil and vanilla until incorporated. Add eggs and egg yolk one a time and beat until combined. With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with apple sauce (being and end with flour mixture). Batter will be thick – gently fold in shredded apple.
- Spray a 10-cup bundt pan with baking spray with flour (or generously butter and flour the pan). Spoon batter into prepared bundt pan and smooth with an offset spatula. Tap pan sharply to reduce air bubbles.
- Bake bundt cake for 42 to 44 minutes, until cake is golden, springs back to the touch, and a tester inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs attached. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes; carefully invert onto rack and cool completely.
- Drizzle butterscotch topping over cake and sprinkle with chopped pecans. If desired, serve cake with additional butterscotch sauce.
- Store leftover spice cake in an airtight container at room temperature.
Keywords: Spice Bundt Cake, Spice Cake