Classic snickerdoodles are the perfect holiday cookie! You’ll love these super soft and pillowy cookies, rolled in cinnamon sugar.
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Whisk together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter and sugar in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until creamy; beat in eggs and vanilla until combined. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture; beat just until incorporated. Cover dough and chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (If cookie dough has chilled overnight, let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk together sugar and cinnamon in a shallow bowl. Use a cookie scoop coated with nonstick spray to scoop 1 1/2-inch balls of dough. Roll all the balls of dough in cinnamon-sugar, and then coat a second time in cinnamon-sugar. Place two inches apart, 9 balls of dough per baking sheet, and gently press the tops to flatten slightly.
- Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 11 to 12 minutes, until edges and tops are set. Cool for 10 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Make Ahead: Roll the dough into balls and freeze on a baking sheet for 1 hour, then transfer to an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2 months. Just before baking, roll the cookie dough in cinnamon-sugar and bake as directed, adding 1-2 minutes to baking time.
Keywords: Snickerdoodles, Cookies, Cinnamon, Sugar, Holiday Cookies