This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy.
A cozy and delicious skillet amaretto apple crisp!
I come from an apple crisp family. My grandmother has baked apple crisp with Fuji and Pippin apples from her trees for decades, and I remember my mom baking pans of apple crisp every fall. These wise women have taught me the unspoken yet implied rules of apple crisp: never skimp on the topping, serve with steaming coffee and vanilla bean ice cream, and enjoy any leftover crisp for breakfast the next day.
Although I’m adding my own twist with Honeycrisp apples and a nice splash of Amaretto, the heart of apple crisp is always the same – an effortless dessert that brings everyone to the table, expectant and ready to dig in. When the skillet emerges from the oven with sweet and tender Amaretto-spiked apples topped with a lid of crisp golden topping, it’s easy to see why apple crisp is a welcome classic.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp Amaretto
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp arrowroot starch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 7 cups peeled and diced Honeycrisp apples
- 3 Tbsp amaretto
- Preheat oven to 350°F place a baking sheet in the center of the oven. Grease a seasoned 10-inch cast iron skillet (or 2 quart baking dish). For the crumble topping, whisk together oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl; mix in amaretto. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or fork until large crumbs form. Keep chilled while preparing filling.
- For the filling, whisk together sugar, arrowroot starch, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Add apples and amaretto and toss to combine. Spoon filling into skillet and top with chilled crumble. Place skillet on preheated baking sheet and bake for 1 hour, until filling is bubbling and topping is golden brown. Let cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes before serving.
Arrowroot starch is a natural thickener and creates a smooth, shiny sauce. Available online or in the natural foods section.
- Calories: 270
- Carbohydrates: 45
Keywords: Apple Crisp, Skillet Crisp, Fruit Crisp, Apple, Amaretto