salted white chocolate macadamia cookies
Soft and buttery salted white chocolate macadamia cookies filled with chunks of sweet white chocolate and golden macadamias are a cookie dream! With plenty of flaky salt and a soft brown sugar cookie dough, these are classic white chocolate macadamia cookies, reinvented.
Creamy white chocolate chunks and buttery rich macadamia nuts make for one sensational cookie; ample salt and a splash of dark rum keeps the sweetness in check. Clearly cookies are my favorite food group!
The Best White Chocolate Macadamia Cookies
White Chocolate – Use a high quality white chocolate for these cookies. I love Ghirardelli white chocolate baking bars. For perfect chocolate chunks, use a serrated knife to chop the chocolate.
Macadamia Nuts – Roasted and salted macadamia nuts add mega flavor to these cookies!
Dark Rum and Vanilla – A splash of dark rum and pure vanilla extract add rich flavor to the brown sugar cookie dough.
Flaky Salt – A generous shower of flaky salt is the perfect finish to these cookies (and balances the sweet white chocolate!).
Chill the Dough – Chill this cookie dough for at least 4 hours (or overnight) before baking. The chill time intensifies the flavor and ensures that the cookies don’t overspread.
Make Ahead – These cookies can be made ahead for whenever a cookie craving strikes! Simply scoop the dough out onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and freeze for 1 hour, then transfer the dough balls to an airtight container and freeze up to 2 months. Bake cookies directly from the freezer, adding 1-2 minutes to baking time.
Soft and buttery salted white chocolate macadamia cookies filled with chunks of sweet white chocolate and golden macadamias are a cookie dream!
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 12 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 2 Tbsp dark rum
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup roasted macadamia nuts, chopped
- 4 ounces white chocolate, chopped
- 3 ounces white chocolate, chopped
- flaky salt
- Whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter and sugars in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until creamy; beat in egg, egg yolk, rum, and vanilla until combined. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture; beat just until incorporated. Fold in macadamia nuts and white chocolate. Cover dough and chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (If cookie dough has chilled overnight, let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Form 1 1/2-inch balls of dough and place two inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Top with white chocolate, pressing gently to adhere.
- Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 13-14 minutes, until edges are golden and set. Sprinkle cookies with flaky salt and let cool 10 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Make Ahead: Scoop the dough out onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Top with white chocolate chunks. Freeze for 1 hour, then transfer the dough balls to an airtight container and freeze up to 2 months. Bake cookies directly from the freezer, adding 1-2 minutes to baking time.
Keywords: White Chocolate, Macadamia, Sea Salt, Cookies