salted caramel brownies
Rich and fudgy salted caramel brownies make the best dessert! Rich cocoa brownies are always indulgent and absolutely irresistible. Add a layer of homemade salted caramel sauce, and you quickly take the classic fudge brownie to new heights!
If you like, scatter chopped pecans or cashews over the caramel layer. I took the purist route and left the brownies unadorned, because it doesn’t get much better or more satisfying than chocolate, caramel, and plenty of flaky salt. Pro tip: I also love to serve these caramel brownies warm topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
Rich and fudgy salted caramel brownies make the best dessert!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup salted caramel sauce
- flaky salt, for topping
- Preheat oven to 325°F and line an 8-inch square metal baking pan with parchment paper. Spray parchment paper with nonstick spray.
- Place melted butter, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt in a large bowl and stir the mixture until combined – the texture will appear granular at this point. Stir in vanilla; add eggs one at a time, stirring well after each one. When the batter is thick and shiny, add the flour and stir until completely incorporated, then beat briskly for 40 more strokes. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and use a piece of wax paper coated with nonstick spray to press the batter evenly into the pan. Gently tap pan once to remove air bubbles.
- Bake brownies for 23 to 24 minutes, until the top is set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs attached. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack.
- Pour salted caramel sauce over warm brownies, tilting the pan to coat evenly. Let brownies cool completely, then freeze for 30 minutes.
- Lift parchment and place brownies on a cutting board. Use a sharp knife coated with nonstick spray to cut brownies into squares and sprinkle with sea salt. Store leftover brownies in the refrigerator; bring to room temperature before serving.
Keywords: Brownie, Fudge Brownie, Caramel, Salted Caramel, Chocolate