- 2 tsp Red Star PLATINUM Yeast
- 2 Tbsp very warm water (120-130°F)
- 2 Tbsp Meyer lemon zest
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 tsp Meyer lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp Chambord (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F and spray a standard doughnut pan with nonstick spray. Whisk together yeast and warm water in a small bowl; set aside. Place Meyer lemon zest and sugar in a food processor and pulse for 1 minute. Whisk together lemon-sugar, cake flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Combine buttermilk, eggs, butter, and yeast mixture in a medium bowl; add to flour mixture and stir just until combined.
- Spoon batter into a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip and fill each doughnut cup 2/3 full. Bake 6 to 7 minutes, until the tops spring back when touched. Turn doughnuts out on a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining batter, spraying pan with nonstick spray in between batches.
- For the glaze, place powdered sugar in a small bowl. Press berries through a fine mesh strainer, straining juice into powdered sugar. Whisk in lemon juice and Chambord until smooth. Set rack with doughnuts over a piece of wax paper. Dip doughnut tops into glaze and let set on rack. Doughnuts taste best the first day; if desired, store unglazed overnight in an airtight container at room temperature and glaze before serving.
To make your own cake flour: place 2 tablespoons cornstarch in an empty 1-cup measure, then top up with flour. Sift the mixture several times to evenly distribute the cornstarch.
- Calories: 220