Drizzled with pretty pink raspberry glaze, this golden and tender raspberry almond coffee cake is perfect weekend brunch!
- 3 1/2 cups (490 g) flour, divided
- 1 package Red Star PLATINUM Yeast
- 1/4 cup (50 g) sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup (240 g) low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup (56 g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 cup (120 g) fresh raspberries
- 2 Tbsp (25 g) sugar
- 1 tsp pure almond extract
- 2 Tbsp (28 g) unsalted butter, very soft
- 1/3 cup (106 g) raspberry preserves
Topping and Glaze
- 2 Tbsp (28 g) unsalted butter, melted and divided
- 1 Tbsp (20 g) raspberry preserves
- 1/2 cup (60 g) powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pure almond extract
- 1 1/2 Tbsp milk
- toasted sliced almonds, for topping
- Combine 2 cups (280 g) flour, yeast, sugar, and salt in a large mixer bowl; mix on low speed until incorporated. Heat milk in a microwave-safe measuring cup for 45 seconds to 1 minute, until very warm (120-130°F). Add warm milk, butter, and egg to flour mixture and mix until combined; mix in remaining 1 1/2 cups (210 g) flour. Switch out the flat beater for a dough hook, and knead dough for 5 minutes until smooth and elastic. The dough is ready when it feels tacky but doesn’t stick to your fingers (if necessary, add additional flour 1 tablespoon at a time while kneading).
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with nonstick spray and cover with plastic. Let the dough rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 40 minutes. To check if dough has doubled, lightly flour two fingers and press them down into center of dough. If indentations remain, gently press down dough; cover and let rest 5 minutes. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine raspberries, sugar, and almond extract in a bowl, tossing gently together. Turn dough out on a lightly floured board and roll into an 18 x 12-inch rectangle. Spread butter over dough, leaving a 1-inch border at the edges. Spread raspberry preserves over dough, also leaving a 1-inch border at the edges. Top with raspberries.
- Carefully roll dough up into a tight log and pinch edges to seal. Place log on prepared baking sheet and shape to form a circle; cross and pinch the ends together. Cover loosely with plastic and let rise in a warm place for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, use a sharp knife to make several parallel slashes (1-inch deep) across the top. Let rise for another 15 minutes and preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until golden. Remove from oven and brush with 1 tablespoon melted butter. Place on a wire rack and let cool for at least 1 hour. For the glaze, whisk together 1 tablespoon melted butter, raspberry preserves, powdered sugar, salt, almond extract, and milk in a small bowl. Drizzle glaze over coffee cake and top with toasted almond before serving.
Keywords: Raspberry, Almond, Coffee Cake, Brunch, Mother's Day