The BEST pumpkin roll cake filled with brown butter cream cheese frosting!
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup pure pumpkin
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar, divided (for rolling)
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, cubed
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 6 oz reduced fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 375°F and spray a 10 x 15-inch jelly roll pan with nonstick spray; line pan with parchment paper and spray parchment paper with nonstick spray.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices, and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together pumpkin, eggs, sugars, and vanilla in a medium bowl. Add to flour mixture, and whisk in until combined.
- Spread the batter evenly into prepared pan and tap pan sharply to reduce air bubbles.
- Bake cake for 16 to 18 minutes, until the cake springs back to the touch. While the cake bakes, place a clean thin kitchen towel flat on the kitchen counter, and dust with 1/2 cup powdered sugar.
- Remove cake from the oven and immediately turn out onto prepared kitchen towel. Slowly and carefully peel off the parchment paper, and dust the cake with remaining 1/4 cup powdered sugar. Starting from the narrow end, carefully and gently roll up the cake with the towel. Transfer rolled up cake to a wire rack and place seam side down; let cool completely.
- Brown butter: Cook 2 tablespoons cubed butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it foams, turns clear, and then turns a deep brown. Pour brown butter into a mixer bowl and let cool to room temperature.
- Make frosting: Add remaining 4 tablespoons butter and cream cheese to the mixer bowl (with the cooled brown butter) and beat until combined. Mix in vanilla and salt. Beat in powdered sugar on low speed until incorporated, then on medium speed until soft and creamy.
- Assemble cake: Gently unroll the cooled cake, and use an offset spatula to spread frosting over the cake. Carefully re-roll the cake, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. Dust with powdered sugar before slicing and serving (trim any uneven edges before cutting into slices).
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 2 days.
Make ahead: The pumpkin cake can be made ahead of time. Once fully cooled, chill the cake (still rolled up in the kitchen towel) for up to a day before adding the filling. The filling is easiest to spread when it’s freshly made.
Freezing tips: Freeze prepared pumpkin roll flat on a baking sheet for 1 hour, then wrap well in plastic wrap or foil and place in a freezer bag. Freeze for up to 2 months. When you’re ready to enjoy, thaw pumpkin roll overnight in the refrigerator (still wrapped to prevent condensation). Dust with powdered sugar before slicing and serving.
The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products I use and love!
Keywords: Pumpkin, Pumpkin Spice, Brown Butter, Cream Cheese Frosting