pumpkin chocolate chip cake
Photos and recipe updated September 2019
Pumpkin, warming spices, and chocolate chips collide in this easy pumpkin chocolate chip cake. Essentially a pumpkin sheet cake topped with chocolate chips and a sprinkling of cinnamon-sugar, this gem of a fall cake will appeal to any and all pumpkin lovers!
Simple to make and even easier to eat (I’ve been slicing off just one more bite nearly every hour for the last two days!), the plush and pillowy pumpkin bars are a must-make for your pumpkin-carving or Halloween party!
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 10 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup pure pumpkin
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with nonstick spray. Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, nutmeg, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Beat butter and sugar in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until pale and fluffy; beat in vanilla. Add eggs one at a time and beat until combined. Combine pumpkin and buttermilk in a small bowl. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with pumpkin mixture (begin and end with flour mixture).
- Spoon batter into prepared baking pan and smooth with an offset spatula; tap pan sharply to reduce air bubbles. Combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and sprinkle evenly over the batter. Top with chocolate chips.
- Bake for 24 to 25 minutes or until cake springs back to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Just before serving, place pan in the freezer for 10 minutes to set topping. Use a sharp knife to cut into bars.
Keywords: Pumpkin, Pumpkin Spice, Chocolate Chip, Sheet Cake, Bars