Perfectly spiced pumpkin sheet cake topped with salted caramel frosting and drizzled with caramel sauce for extra indulgence!
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 10 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup pure pumpkin
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 3 Tbsp salted caramel sauce
- 6 Tbsp salted caramel sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with nonstick spray. Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, nutmeg, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Beat butter and sugar in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until pale and fluffy; beat in vanilla. Add eggs one at a time and beat until combined. Combine pumpkin and buttermilk in a small bowl. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with pumpkin mixture (begin and end with flour mixture).
- Spoon batter into prepared baking pan and smooth with an offset spatula; tap pan sharply to reduce air bubbles. Bake for 25 to 27 minutes, until cake springs back to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- For the frosting, beat butter and salt in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until smooth. Beat in vanilla. Mix in 2 cups of powdered sugar on low speed until incorporated. Mix in salted caramel sauce until incorporated. With mixer on low speed, add remaining 1 cup powdered sugar. Increase speed to medium and beat frosting for 1 minute, until light and airy.
- Dollop frosting over cooled cake and swirl with an offset spatula. Top with spoonfuls of caramel sauce and use a toothpick to very gently swirl the caramel into the frosting. Chill cake for 20 minutes in the refrigerator before slicing and serving.
Keywords: Pumpkin, Caramel, Salted Caramel, Cake, Sheet Cake