I’m all about easy fall sheet cakes and this pumpkin caramel sheet cake delivers! Pumpkin spice and salted caramel are made for each other, and the flavors are simply irresistible in this cake (otherwise known as fall perfection!).
Our perfectly spiced pumpkin sheet cake bakes up soft and tender. Next we add swirls of salted caramel frosting and drizzle the top with caramel sauce for extra indulgence!
Make a batch of homemade salted caramel sauce (you can make this ahead of time!) to incorporate in the frosting. For a swirled effect, top the frosting with dollops of caramel sauce and gently swirl with a toothpick.
Sprinkle the caramel with flaky salt (if desired) and prepare to dig in. Happy cake baking! 🙂Print
Perfectly spiced pumpkin sheet cake topped with salted caramel frosting and drizzled with caramel sauce for extra indulgence!
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 10 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup pure pumpkin
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 3 Tbsp salted caramel sauce
- 6 Tbsp salted caramel sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with nonstick spray. Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, nutmeg, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Beat butter and sugar in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until pale and fluffy; beat in vanilla. Add eggs one at a time and beat until combined. Combine pumpkin and buttermilk in a small bowl. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with pumpkin mixture (begin and end with flour mixture).
- Spoon batter into prepared baking pan and smooth with an offset spatula; tap pan sharply to reduce air bubbles. Bake for 25 to 27 minutes, until cake springs back to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- For the frosting, beat butter and salt in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until smooth. Beat in vanilla. Mix in 2 cups of powdered sugar on low speed until incorporated. Mix in salted caramel sauce until incorporated. With mixer on low speed, add remaining 1 cup powdered sugar. Increase speed to medium and beat frosting for 1 minute, until light and airy.
- Dollop frosting over cooled cake and swirl with an offset spatula. Top with spoonfuls of caramel sauce and use a toothpick to very gently swirl the caramel into the frosting. Chill cake for 20 minutes in the refrigerator before slicing and serving.
Keywords: Pumpkin, Caramel, Salted Caramel, Cake, Sheet Cake