Peach hand pies drizzled with brown sugar glaze!
As the hot oven hits cold pastry, magic happens. This is the best kind of magic, where egg-washed pastry becomes golden and bronzed, and the tree-ripe peach filling becomes sweet and tender. Flaky little peach hand pies are my kind of magic.
Cream cheese adds a delicate tenderness to the pastry, which is easy to work with and very forgiving even on the hottest (106!) of days. With that sweet filling and irresistible brown sugar glaze, these pies are really perfect any time of day (including, and perhaps best of all, at breakfast with coffee).
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature, cubed
- 4 ounces reduced fat cream cheese, at room temperature, cubed
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
Filling + Assembly
- 1 cup diced peaches
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp arrowroot starch
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- pinch of cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp milk
- For the pastry, combine butter, cream cheese, and milk in a food processor and process until well combined. Whisk together flour, sugar, and salt; add to processor and pulse just until incorporated and dough begins to form large clumps. Turn dough out onto a floured board and divide in half; flatten each half into a disc and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill for at least one hour, or overnight. If dough is chilled overnight, let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before rolling out.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Place one disc of dough on a floured board and dust lightly with flour; roll out into an 8 x 12-inch rectangle, 1/8-inch thick. Trim any uneven edges and cut dough into eight 2 x 3-inch rectangles. Place on baking sheet and chill in the refrigerator while repeating with second disc of dough. Chill while making filling.
- For the filling, combine peaches, sugar, arrowroot starch, and cinnamon in a small bowl, tossing gently to combine. Whisk egg yolk and water together in a small bowl. Remove one baking sheet of rectangles from the refrigerator and brush lightly with egg wash; top with about a tablespoon of filling (leave juices behind). Remove the second baking sheet from the refrigerator and poke a pattern of holes in each rectangle (this allows steam to escape). Brush the underside of each rectangle lightly with egg wash and place on top of filling. Seal the edges of each pie by crimping with a fork. Chill assembled pies in the refrigerator for 20 minutes while preheating oven to 375°F.
- Brush chilled pies with egg wash and bake, rotating pan halfway through, for 22 to 23 minutes, until golden brown. Cool pies on baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before glazing. For the glaze, combine butter and brown sugar in a microwave-safe bowl and heat until melted, about 45 seconds. Whisk in powdered sugar, cinnamon, salt, and milk until smooth. Spoon glaze over hand pies and let set before serving.
- Calories: 300
- Carbohydrates: 38
Keywords: Peach, Peach Pie, Peach Hand Pies, Hand Pies