Orange almond poppy seed tea cake makes the most delicious loaf cake! Flavored with almond and orange, this fragrant loaf cake is topped with orange glaze.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 Tbsp poppy seeds
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp orange zest
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 ounces almond paste, cubed
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 3/4 tsp pure almond extract
- 1/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 2 Tbsp orange juice
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and poppy seeds in a medium bowl.
- Place sugar and orange zest in a food processor and pulse for 1 minute. Beat butter, almond paste, and orange-sugar in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until light and fluffy; beat in egg and almond extract. Combine yogurt and buttermilk in a small bowl. Reduce speed to low and add half of flour mixture, beating just to combine. Add yogurt mixture, then finish with remaining flour mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan; smooth top with an offset spatula and tap sharply to reduce air bubbles.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, until cake springs back to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs attached. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes; carefully remove cake from pan and cool completely.
- For the glaze, whisk together melted butter, salt, orange zest, juice, and powdered sugar in a small bowl. Drizzle glaze over cake and and let set before serving.
Keywords: Almond, Almond Paste, Orange, Poppy Seed, Loaf Cake