There’s almost nothing I like more than a tea cake disguised as a quick bread. This orange almond poppy seed tea cake is that kind of cake – soft and airy, perfumed with orange and almond and topped with a sweet orange drizzle.
Easily whipped up and popped into the oven in 20 minutes flat, this is the kind of cake ideal for afternoon cravings and the days when cake and only cake will do. Delicious down to the last crumb, this all-occasion cake is simply plush and perfect!
The best orange almond poppy seed tea cake
Citrus – I love sweet oranges in this tea cake. You can also use blood oranges, Meyer lemons, or tangerines. To really bring out the citrus flavor, combine citrus zest and sugar in a food processor and pulse for 1 minute. Transfer the citrus sugar to a stand mixer and beat with butter and almond paste until light and fluffy.
Almond Paste – Made from almonds and sugar, almond paste adds rich flavor and the most tender crumb to this cake. Slice the almond paste into 1/4-inch cubes (or carefully grate the paste) to make it easy to incorporate into the batter.
Yogurt and buttermilk – Both yogurt (Greek yogurt is my go-to for baking) and buttermilk ensure a moist and tender crumb to this easy loaf cake. Bring both to room temperature before baking.
Bake – Bake this cake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until cake springs back to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs attached. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then carefully remove cake from pan and cool completely.
Glaze – Made from melted butter, orange zest and juice, and powdered sugar, this orange butter glaze is delicious! Whisk up the glaze ingredients until smooth and drizzle over the cake. Let the glaze set before serving. Enjoy!
Orange almond poppy seed tea cake makes the most delicious loaf cake! Flavored with almond and orange, this fragrant loaf cake is topped with orange glaze.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 Tbsp poppy seeds
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp orange zest
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 ounces almond paste, cubed
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 3/4 tsp pure almond extract
- 1/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 2 Tbsp orange juice
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and poppy seeds in a medium bowl.
- Place sugar and orange zest in a food processor and pulse for 1 minute. Beat butter, almond paste, and orange-sugar in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until light and fluffy; beat in egg and almond extract. Combine yogurt and buttermilk in a small bowl. Reduce speed to low and add half of flour mixture, beating just to combine. Add yogurt mixture, then finish with remaining flour mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan; smooth top with an offset spatula and tap sharply to reduce air bubbles.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, until cake springs back to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs attached. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes; carefully remove cake from pan and cool completely.
- For the glaze, whisk together melted butter, salt, orange zest, juice, and powdered sugar in a small bowl. Drizzle glaze over cake and and let set before serving.
Keywords: Almond, Almond Paste, Orange, Poppy Seed, Loaf Cake