This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy.
Light and fluffy Meyer lemon ricotta muffins make the best breakfast! Dressed up with lemon butter glaze (or a slather of salted butter), these muffins are a scrumptious taste of spring!
With a light and fluffy texture from the ricotta and plenty of vibrant citrus flavor from fresh Meyer lemon zest, these effortless muffins are easy to make and a must bake while fragrant, floral Meyer lemons are in season!
Tips for Perfect Lemon Ricotta Muffins:
- In recipes that include citrus zest (like this one!), pulse the zest and sugar in a food processor for 1 minute, until the zest is finely ground. This added step releases aromatic oils from the zest, for maximum flavor.
- Spray a cookie scoop with nonstick spray and use the scoop to evenly portion out the muffin batter.
- Bake muffins for 13 to 15 minutes, until muffins are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached.
- Let muffins cool for 5 minutes before removing from muffin pan to cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make the glaze, whisk together melted butter, salt, Meyer lemon zest, Meyer lemon juice, and powdered sugar together in a small bowl until smooth.
- Once the muffins are fully cooled, drizzle with glaze and enjoy!
The Secret to Bakery-Style Muffins
For tall, bakery-style muffins start with high heat: Fill baking cups 3/4 full of batter and sprinkle evenly with crumb topping. Place your muffin pan in the oven and bake for 5 minutes at 425°F for a quick burst of heat to give the muffins a nice lift, then reduce oven temperature to 350°F and bake another 10 to 12 minutes or until tops are set.Print
Light and fluffy Meyer lemon ricotta muffins make the best breakfast! Dressed up with lemon butter glaze, these muffins are a scrumptious taste of spring!
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp fresh Meyer lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 Tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup part skim ricotta, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp fresh Meyer lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp fresh Meyer lemon juice
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line a 12-cup standard muffin pan with baking cups; spray baking cups lightly with cooking spray.
- Combine sugar and Meyer lemon zest in a food processor and pulse for 1 minute to combine. Transfer to a large bowl and whisk in flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Combine buttermilk, ricotta, melted butter, egg, and vanilla in a medium bowl; add to flour mixture and fold in just until incorporated.
- Fill each baking cup 3/4 full of batter. Place muffin pan in the oven and bake for 5 minutes at 425°F. Reduce temperature to 350°F and continue baking 8 to 10 minutes (for a total baking time of 13 to 15 minutes), until muffins are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached. Let muffins cool in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes before removing from pan to cool.
- For the glaze, whisk together melted butter, salt, Meyer lemon zest, juice, and powdered sugar in a small bowl. Drizzle glaze over muffins and and let set before serving.
Keywords: Meyer Lemon, Ricotta, Poppy Seed, Muffin