meyer lemon-pistachio tartlets
Many of you are familiar with my longstanding crush on Meyer lemons and brown butter (in everything!). However, pairing pistachios with the two is an unexpected yet entirely welcome flavor profile. Roasted pistachios and brown butter add richness to the crust on these tartlets; the Meyer lemon filling is reminiscent of the best lemon bar.
Topped with candied pistachios for crunch, these tartlets are simply sublime. Rich and satisfying, the size is ideal for sharing if you feel so inclined, though I would not blame you for hoarding every last crumb!
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup shelled roasted pistachios, finely ground
- 1/3 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Meyer lemon zest (zest of 2 lemons)
- 1/3 cup fresh Meyer lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp flour
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp hot water
- 6 Tbsp shelled roasted pistachios
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray six 3 1/2-inch tartlet pans with nonstick spray; place on a rimmed baking sheet. Whisk together flour, ground pistachios, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Cook butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it foams, turns clear, and then turns a deep brown, about 6 minutes.
- Add brown butter to flour mixture and stir until incorporated. Press 1/4 cup mixture in the bottom and up the sides of prepared tartlet pans. Bake for 10 minutes, until slightly puffed and set.
- Meanwhile, prepare filling. Lightly whisk eggs in a medium bowl. Whisk in sugar, Meyer lemon zest, lemon juice, flour, and salt until smooth. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F and slowly pour filling over hot tartlet shells; return to oven and bake until filling is firm, 12 to 13 minutes. Cool tartlets completely on wire rack before releasing from pans, then cover and place in the refrigerator until chilled.
- For the candied pistachios, increase oven temperature to 350°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Whisk together sugar and hot water in a small bowl until sugar is dissolved. Add pistachios and turbinado sugar; toss to coat. Spread the pistachios in a single layer and bake until crisp, about 8 minutes. Let cool, then break into pieces.
- When ready to serve, dust tartlets with powdered sugar and top with candied pistachios. Store leftover tartlets overnight in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
If you don’t have unshelled pistachios, quickly shell the pistachios by using an empty shell as leverage to get into the crack. Twist and the shell will open easily. Candied pistachios from Food & Wine.
- Calories: 440
- Carbohydrates: 60