Maple pecan banana bread topped with pecan streusel!
If you haven’t noticed, I’ve been on a bit of a maple kick lately. While I can’t think of a fall flavor I don’t like, maple nears the top of my favorites. It seemed fitting, then, to turn my bespeckled bunch of bananas into banana bread with a maple twist.
Sweetened with maple syrup and maple sugar, this loaf is incredibly tender thanks to buttermilk and coconut oil. A quick streusel topping (streusel should be a breakfast requirement, don’t you agree?) is just the right amount of adornment; maple and pecan are banana bread’s perfect match.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups mashed banana
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp maple sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted and slightly cooled
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Maple Pecan Topping
- 1/3 cup pecans, halved
- 3 Tbsp maple sugar
- 3 Tbsp flour
- pinch of cinnamon
- 1 1/2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper, letting excess extend over sides of pan. Spray parchment paper lightly with nonstick spray.
- Whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Combine banana, maple syrup, maple sugar, coconut oil, buttermilk, egg, and vanilla in a medium bowl; add to flour mixture and fold in just until combined. Spoon batter into prepared pan and smooth top with an offset spatula.
- For the topping, combine pecans, maple sugar, flour, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Add coconut oil and toss mixture with a fork until crumbly. Sprinkle topping evenly over batter.
- Bake for 30 minutes; rotate pan and tent with foil to prevent over browning. Continue baking another 31 to 33 minutes. Bread is done when golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs attached. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes; carefully lift bread from pan and cool completely.
Maple sugar is available at King Arthur Flour
- Calories: 225
Keywords: Maple, Pecan, Banana, Banana Bread