malted chocolate toffee ice cream sandwiches
Malted chocolate toffee ice cream sandwiches – classic ice cream sandwiches, made even better with malted milk powder!
When the weather heats up, I go into full summer mode – the freezer brims with pints of homemade ice cream and colorful stacks of popsicles. But if I’m completely honest, the ice cream sandwich is my ultimate frozen treat. It’s impossible to choose between cookies or ice cream, so the obvious choice is both!
For me, the classic ice cream sandwich is chocolate chip cookies with vanilla ice cream. Here I’ve made the classic even better, adding malt powder to the dough and mixing in chocolate toffee bits too.
Sandwiched with homemade vanilla bean ice cream and sprinkled with flaky salt, these treats appeal to all. If you’re looking for a shortcut (because a long weekend is about easy living!), then swap in your favorite store-bought ice cream and dig in!
Malted chocolate toffee ice cream sandwiches are the best summer treat! Classic ice cream sandwiches, made even better with malted milk powder!
Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 2 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp vodka
Malted Chocolate Toffee Cookies
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup malted milk powder
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chocolate toffee bits
- flaky salt
- For the vanilla ice cream, combine half-and-half, cream cheese, sugar, salt, vanilla bean seeds, vanilla, and vodka in a blender or food processor; process until smooth. Cover and chill mixture in the refrigerator for one hour. Pour chilled ice cream mixture into frozen cylinder of ice cream maker; freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. Spoon mixture into a freezer-safe container and place in the freezer until firm.
- For the cookies, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter and brown sugar in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until creamy; beat in egg, vanilla, and malted milk powder until combined. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture; beat just until incorporated. Fold in chocolate chips and toffee bits. Cover dough and chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (If cookie dough has chilled overnight, let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking). Line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Form 1 1/2-inch balls of dough and place two inches apart on prepared baking sheets; flatten mounds slightly.
- Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 9 to 11 minutes, until edges are set. Sprinkle cookies with sea salt and cool for 4 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Freeze cookies in an airtight container for at least one hour.
- To assemble sandwiches, use a small cookie scoop to place a scoop of ice cream between two chilled cookies and press lightly. Place assembled ice cream sandwiches on a baking sheet and cover with plastic; return to the freezer for two hours. Wrap sandwiches individually in plastic wrap and store in the freezer for up to 7 days. Let stand at room temperature for 5 minutes before serving.
- Calories: 375
- Carbohydrates: 54
Keywords: Chocolate, Toffee, Malted Milk Powder, Ice Cream Sandwich, Frozen Treat