Magic happens when lemon, lavender, butter, and sugar meet in the oven. Infused with notes of bright lemon, floral lavender, and sweet vanilla, these buttery lemon lavender shortbread cookies are absolute bliss (and the ideal cookie to bring a touch of spring into your kitchen!).
Sprinkled with sugar and dressed up with a sweet lemon glaze, these pretty cookies are a must bake for your Easter table, Mother’s Day brunch, or spontaneous weekend picnic.
Shortbread Cookie Ingredients
To make these lemon lavender shortbread cookies, you’ll need:
- Granulated sugar
- Fresh lemon zest
- Dried culinary lavender
- Unsalted butter
- Pure vanilla extract
- All-Purpose Flour
For the glaze, you’ll need:
- Powdered sugar
- Fresh lemon zest and juice
Make Ahead Shortbread Cookies
Baked and cooled shortbread cookies (unglazed) can be wrapped well and frozen up to 2 months. To thaw cookies, place on wire racks and let stand at room temperature for one hour before topping with lemon glaze.
Buttery lemon lavender shortbread cookies drizzled with sweet and tangy lemon glaze make the perfect spring treat!
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tsp Meyer lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp dried culinary lavender
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 Tbsp sugar (for sprinkling)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp Meyer lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp Meyer lemon juice
- Combine sugar, lemon zest, and lavender in a food processor and pulse for 1 minute until lavender is finely chopped. Beat butter and lemon-lavender sugar in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until combined; add vanilla and salt and beat until incorporated. Scrape down bowl as needed. Reduce speed to low and mix in flour just until incorporated and dough begins to come together in large pieces. Scrape dough out onto a piece of plastic wrap, shape into a disk and wrap well. Chill dough in the refrigerator until firm, about 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll out dough to slightly less than 1/4-inch thick on a lightly floured board. Use a floured 2 1/2-inch fluted biscuit cutter to cut out cookies. Gather scraps, re-roll, and cut until you have a total of 24 cookies. Place cookies on baking sheets, sprinkle with sugar, and chill for 20 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 14 to 15 minutes, until lightly golden and edges are set. Cool for 5 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the glaze, whisk together powdered sugar, lemon zest, and juice in a small bowl. Transfer glaze to a small piping bag and drizzle over cookies; let set before serving.
Make ahead: Baked and cooled shortbread cookies can be wrapped well and frozen up to 2 months. To thaw cookies, place on wire racks and let stand at room temperature for one hour before glazing.
Keywords: Lemon, Lavender, Shortbread, Shortbread Cookies