Lightly perfumed with lemon and lavender, these lemon lavender morning buns are the loveliest. Served up warm for brunch, I can’t think of a more scrumptious offering for Mother’s Day… after all, the best way to show love is with flaky, buttery, sugared breakfast pastry bliss!
Whether you make your own quick puff pastry or opt for store-bought frozen puff, these morning buns are a breeze to make. Brushed with butter and sprinkled generously with lemon-lavender sugar for a touch of elegance, mom will adore these buns and so will you.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh lemon zest
- 3/4 tsp dried culinary lavender
- pinch of salt
- 2 sheets (16 oz) puff pastry, thawed and chilled
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted and sightly cooled
- Preheat oven to 400°F and grease two 12-cup standard muffin pans. Combine sugar, lemon zest, lavender, and salt in a food processor; blend for 1 minute until lavender is finely chopped. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons lemon-lavender sugar onto a large board. Unfold one sheet of puff pastry onto the board and press into the sugar with a rolling pin.
- Brush puff pastry with melted butter and sprinkle with 1/3 cup lemon-lavender sugar, pressing sugar into the pastry with a rolling pin. Roll up the dough tightly into a log; trim ends and score into 8 equal slices. Use a sharp knife or unflavored dental floss to slice dough crosswise (slip a long slice of floss under log of dough and cross on top to cut slices cleanly).
- Place slices spiral side up in prepared muffin pan and sprinkle generously with lemon-lavender sugar. Chill in the freezer for 10 minutes. Repeat process with second puff pastry sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until buns are golden. Immediately (and carefully!) loosen buns from muffin pans with a metal spatula or butter knife and place on cooling racks. Let cool for 20 minutes before serving. Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature.
To make ahead: Once buns have chilled in the freezer, place in freezer bags and freeze until ready to use. Bake as directed, adding a few extra minutes to baking time.
Keywords: Lemon, Lavender, Morning Buns, Puff Pastry