These jamaretti cookies draw inspiration from a few classic recipes: the signature chewy texture of amaretti cookies and the bright jam filling of thumbprint cookies. Fragrant with almond paste and orange zest, the logs of dough are filled with sweet apricot jam, baked up until golden, and finished with a drizzle of orange glaze.
Twice baked and sliced on the diagonal into wedges (similar to biscotti), the golden slices are simply divine with afternoon tea.
Apricot jam with almond paste is an irresistible pairing, but if you like, fill the logs with raspberry jam and add a drizzle of vanilla glaze for a sweet Valentine’s Day treat!
These jamaretti cookies are inspired by the signature chewy texture of amaretti cookies and the bright jam filling of thumbprint cookies.
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 4 oz almond paste, cubed
- 1 tsp fresh orange zest
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature, cubed
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp pure almond extract
- 2/3 cup apricot jam (or your favorite jam)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh orange zest
- 2 tsp fresh orange juice
- 2 tsp milk
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Combine almond paste, orange zest, and sugar in a food processor and pulse until blended. Add butter, eggs, and almond extract, and blend until smooth. Add flour mixture and pulse just until a soft dough forms. Divide dough in half, scrape out onto two pieces of plastic wrap (dough will be sticky), shape into a disk, and wrap well. Chill dough until firm, 45 minutes to 1 hour (dough can be made ahead – see note below).
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. On a lightly floured board, shape dough into two 14 x 3-inch logs; transfer to baking sheet.
- Bake logs for 15 minutes, until just set. Remove from oven and make an indentation down the center of each log with the back of tablespoon. Place apricot jam in a small bowl and warm briefly in the microwave (about 10 seconds). Stir jam to loosen, then fill the center of each log with jam. Return logs to oven and continue baking 12 to 14 minutes, until golden. Remove from oven and place baking sheet on a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the glaze, whisk together powdered sugar, salt, orange zest, orange juice, and milk in a small bowl. Drizzle glaze over logs and let set before using a serrated knife to cut logs on the diagonal into slices. Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days.
Make ahead: Wrap dough well and freeze up to one week. Thaw dough in the refrigerator overnight before using. Adapted from Martha Stewart
- Calories: 145
- Carbohydrates: 24
Keywords: Apricot, Almond, Almond Paste, Jam, Cookies