Soft and chewy graham chocolate chunk cookies are the ultimate cookie!
The new mark of a good cookie is one that I crave for breakfast. Earlier this month, I spent the weekend baking bread at San Francisco Cooking School. After lunch on the first day, platters of freshly baked cookies emerged for our afternoon treat. Incorporating alternative flours like spelt and mesquite, the cookies were so delicious that I saved a few for a midnight snack, and couldn’t resist eating one for breakfast the next morning!
Enter these graham chocolate chunk cookies, flavored with graham flour, a heavy hand of vanilla, and plenty of chocolate. These cookies bake up perfectly soft and chewy, just the way I like my chocolate chunk cookies! If you can’t find graham flour, feel free to substitute equal amounts of another alternative flour, or use graham cracker crumbs.
Topped with extra chocolate and baked until the tops and edges are just set, sprinkle with flaky salt and enjoy with your coffee (or a glass of milk!).
Soft and chewy graham chocolate chunk cookies are the ultimate cookie! Flavored with graham flour, vanilla, and plenty of chocolate, you’ll love every bite!
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup graham flour*
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 12 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp bourbon (optional)
- 6 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup semisweet or milk chocolate chips
- 4 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
- flaky salt
- Whisk together flour, graham flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter and sugars in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until creamy. Beat in egg, egg yolk, vanilla, and bourbon until combined. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture; beat just until incorporated. Fold in chopped chocolate and chocolate chips. Cover dough and chill in the refrigerator for 1 to 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Form 1 1/2-inch balls of dough and place two inches apart on prepared baking sheets; flatten mounds slightly and top cookies with chopped chocolate, pressing gently to adhere.
- Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 11 to 12 minutes, until edges are set. Remove from oven and sprinkle with flaky salt. Let cookies cool for 10 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Graham Flour: I used Bob’s Red Mill. You can also substitute 1/2 cup of another alternative flour, or use 1 cup graham cracker crumbs (8 graham cracker sheets, pulsed to fine crumbs).
Keywords: Graham, Graham Flour, Chocolate, Chocolate Chunk, Cookie, Chocolate Chip Cookie