Rich and buttery espresso shortbread cookies with a deep espresso flavor!
I’m an equal opportunity cookie connoisseur, but there’s something about shortbread cookies that make me stop twice. Rich and buttery with a distinct melt-in-your-mouth texture, I’m utterly powerless to resist their charm. Add a shot of espresso, and it’s all over.
These shortbread cookies are absolutely indulgent and the deep espresso flavor makes them the perfect match for your afternoon pick-me-up. Finished with a dip in chocolate and sparkling turbinado sugar, you’ll fight for every last wedge.
Rich and buttery espresso shortbread cookies with a deep espresso flavor! Dipped in chocolate, this is the perfect holiday shortbread recipe.
- 1 Tbsp instant espresso (recommended: Starbucks Via)
- 1 Tbsp boiling water
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- turbinado sugar
- Spray a 9-inch round removable-bottom tart pan with nonstick spray. Dissolve espresso in boiling water, and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Beat butter and sugar in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until smooth, about 3 minutes; scrape bowl as needed. Beat in cooled espresso, vanilla bean seeds, vanilla, and salt until well combined. Reduce speed to low and beat in flour just until incorporated. Scrape dough into prepared pan and use a piece of parchment paper lightly coated with nonstick spray to press dough evenly into pan. Cover and chill in the refrigerator until firm, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Score dough into 12 wedges with a sharp knife and prick all over with a wooden skewer. Bake until light brown and set in the center, 30 to 32 minutes. Remove pan from oven and transfer to a wire rack; use a sharp knife to recut shortbread into wedges. Cool completely in pan.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Remove and stir. Continue microwaving and stirring in 15 second intervals until melted and smooth. Carefully dip each wedge in chocolate and sprinkle with turbinado sugar; place on lined baking sheet and chill for 20 minutes to set chocolate.
Make ahead: After chilling shortbread for 2 hours, score dough into wedges and prick all over with a wooden skewer. Wrap tart pan with foil and place in a freezer bag to freeze. Bake shortbread directly from the freezer, adding two or three minutes to baking time.
- Calories: 230
- Carbohydrates: 12
Keywords: Chocolate, Espresso, Shortbread, Shortbread Cookies