Soft and pillowy espresso crinkles are perfect for holiday baking! Flavored with instant espresso and Kahlua, you’ll love these crackled cookies.
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 1/2 tsp instant espresso
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tsp Kahlua
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Place chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Remove and stir. Continue microwaving and stirring in 15 second intervals until melted and smooth. Stir in instant espresso and set aside to cool slightly.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk together sugar, brown sugar, eggs, and Kahlua in a large bowl until combined; add cooled chocolate mixture and whisk until smooth. Fold in flour mixture just until incorporated (the mixture will resemble brownie batter). Let dough stand at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Place granulated sugar and powdered sugar in separate shallow bowls. Use a cookie scoop coated with nonstick spray to scoop 1 1/2-inch balls of dough. Drop the balls of dough in granulated sugar and roll to coat, then coat generously in powdered sugar. Place two inches apart on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 16 to 18 minutes, until puffed and cracked, with edges set. Let cookies cool for 15 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Keywords: Chocolate, Espresso, Crinkle, Crinkle Cookie, Holiday Cookie