Soft and pillowy espresso crinkles are perfect for holiday baking!
December’s arrival signals the beginning of the Christmas season – a time to deck the halls and embrace holiday baking. I love to gift neighbors and friends with festive boxes full of sweet edible delights like these espresso crinkles. The pillowy chocolate cookies are laced with instant espresso and a touch of Kahlua for a pronounced chocolate-espresso explosion.
Perfect Crinkle Cookies
Rolling the cookie dough in granulated sugar before coating in powdered sugar helps the cookies crackle as they bake, and keeps the powdered sugar coating in place, for perfect crinkles with every batch!
Make Ahead Crinkle Cookies
Make the dough in advance, roll into balls and freeze on a baking sheet for 1 hour, then transfer to an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2 months. Just before baking, roll the cookie dough in granulated sugar, coat in powered sugar, and bake as directed, adding 1-2 minutes to baking time.
Freeze Crinkle Cookies
To freeze baked cookies, allow them to cool completely on a wire rack. Freeze flat on a baking sheet for 1 hour, then transfer to an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Soft and pillowy espresso crinkles are perfect for holiday baking! Flavored with instant espresso and Kahlua, you’ll love these crackled cookies.
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 1/2 tsp instant espresso
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tsp Kahlua
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Place chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Remove and stir. Continue microwaving and stirring in 15 second intervals until melted and smooth. Stir in instant espresso and set aside to cool slightly.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk together sugar, brown sugar, eggs, and Kahlua in a large bowl until combined; add cooled chocolate mixture and whisk until smooth. Fold in flour mixture just until incorporated (the mixture will resemble brownie batter). Let dough stand at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Place granulated sugar and powdered sugar in separate shallow bowls. Use a cookie scoop coated with nonstick spray to scoop 1 1/2-inch balls of dough. Drop the balls of dough in granulated sugar and roll to coat, then coat generously in powdered sugar. Place two inches apart on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 16 to 18 minutes, until puffed and cracked, with edges set. Let cookies cool for 15 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Keywords: Chocolate, Espresso, Crinkle, Crinkle Cookie, Holiday Cookie