This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy.
With Christmas nearly upon us, it’s time to talk edible gifts for the dessert lovers in your life. First up is English toffee, for the person who adores toffee as much, if not more so, than chocolate.
Brown sugar and a shot of whiskey intensifies the toffee, adding a rich caramelized flavor. Topped with a layer of chocolate and crunch from almonds and pecans, you’ll be tempted to keep the entire batch for yourself (so double the recipe and make two batches, one to savor and one to share).Print
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 24 pieces
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Traditional homemade English toffee, flavored with brown sugar and whiskey. Topped with chocolate and toasted almonds and pecans, this is one addictive treat.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp whiskey
- 1/8 tsp flaky sea salt
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup almonds, chopped
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine butter, sugars, whiskey, and sea salt in a heavy saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, whisking occasionally, until mixture reaches 250ºF. Whisk constantly until mixture reaches 300ºF, then immediately pour mixture out on prepared baking sheet and spread evenly with an offset spatula. Place baking sheet in the freezer for 10 minutes to set toffee.
- Place chocolate in a double boiler or in a heat-proof bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water. Slowly melt the chocolate, stirring occasionally until glossy and smooth.
- Pour melted chocolate over cooled toffee layer and spread with an offset spatula into an even layer; sprinkle with chopped almonds and pecans. Let chocolate set completely, then break toffee into pieces.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature.
Keywords: Chocolate, Toffee, English Toffee
This is my favorite, Laura! I always love crunchy food and this is my ultimate favorite of all. At the same time, it’s very dangerous to be near it.. 🙂 I really love the photography too!
I adore English toffee and yours looks fantastic great holiday treat to give.
Yummy scrummy. I love the hit of whiskey.
I love toffee, it is one of my all time favorite treats!
I need this in my life, stat! And that shot of whiskey is pure genius!
What a delicious thing that is! Definitely on my to-do-list. Thanks 🙂 ela
Absolutely gorgeous! I’d love to give and receive this toffee as gifts. Love that shot of whiskey!
Oh goodness! It’s been way to long since I last visited. About to go on a pinning spree but I had to say that this is gorgeous. And deadly for me. 😉 I’d plop down in bed with a movie and eat every last piece.
This toffee looks gorgeous, and I love the shot of whiskey! Adding this to my edible gifts this year!