I won’t pretend there’s anything revolutionary about the chocolate cupcake; a quick Google search pulls up more than 12 million results. And yet, sometimes a chocolate cupcake is just what you need, be it an odd Wednesday or for your coworker’s birthday or as a thank you to the house sitter… you get the idea. When you absolutely need a dozen (plus) chocolate cupcakes, it doesn’t get any easier than these.
The best chocolate cupcakes
Here’s why: both the batter and the chocolate frosting are one-bowl recipes, no mixer required. The richest and easiest chocolate cupcakes with fudge frosting are within your reach in just about an hour, from start to finish. Sprinkles are optional but highly encouraged, because what’s a cupcake without a little happy?
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup milk, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp instant espresso
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 3 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line two 12-cup standard muffin pans with baking cups. Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl; make a well in the center of the mixture. Add sugars, egg, egg yolk, milk, yogurt, oil, and vanilla to flour mixture; whisk in just until incorporated. Dissolve instant espresso in boiling water; add to batter and whisk in until smooth. Fill each baking cup just over half full of batter.
- Bake cupcakes for 13 to 14 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs attached. Cool cupcakes in pans on wire racks for two minutes, then remove from pans to cool completely on wire racks. For the frosting, combine melted butter, vanilla, salt, powdered sugar, cocoa, and milk in a medium bowl and whisk until well combined. Whisk frosting one more minute, until smooth and glossy. Use an offset spatula to spread frosting over cupcakes. Store leftover cupcakes in an airtight container in the refrigerator; bring to room temperature before serving.
The frosting yields enough for 16 cupcakes; if you prefer a more generous amount of frosting, double the recipe.
- Calories: 200
- Carbohydrates: 35
Keywords: Chocolate, Fudge Frosting, Cupcake