Melt-in-your-mouth crème fraîche sandwich cookies are buttery and delicious, the perfect holiday sandwich cookie!
- 1 1/2 cups (340 g) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup (180 g) crème fraîche
- 1 1/2 tsp (6 g) vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup (120 g) powdered sugar
- 3 cups (375 g) flour
- 1 Tbsp (8 g) cornstarch
- 1 cup (227 g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp (8 g) vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp (2 g) almond extract
- 3 cups (360 g) powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp (15 g) milk
- 1/4 cup (45 g) holiday nonpareils sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Beat butter and crème fraîche in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until combined, 1 to 2 minutes. Beat in vanilla and salt. Gradually mix in powdered sugar on low speed until incorporated.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and cornstarch. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating until a soft dough forms.
- Divide dough in half. Transfer half the dough to a large piping bag (16-inch) fitted with a large closed star tip (Wilton #2D). Pipe 2 1/2-inch spirals of dough 2 inches apart on prepared pans and chill for 30 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake, rotating pans once, until lightly golden, 14 to 16 minutes. Let cool on pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and let cool completely on wire racks.
- For the vanilla frosting, beat butter, salt, and extracts in a mixer bowl until combined. Reduce speed to low and beat in powdered sugar until incorporated. Add milk and beat on medium speed until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes.
- To assemble, pipe frosting onto flat side of half of cookies. Place remaining cookies, flat side down, on top of filling, gently pressing together until filling reaches edges of cookies. Roll cookies in nonpareils sprinkles. Place cookies in a single layer on a baking sheet and chill for 20 minutes before serving.
Keywords: Crème Fraîche, Butter Cookies, Sandwich Cookies, Holiday Cookies