Golden cranberry upside down cakelets are the perfect addition to your holiday table!
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups fresh cranberries
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp fresh orange zest
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a mini bundlette cake pan with nonstick spray. For the topping, combine butter and brown sugar in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring until mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and stir in cranberries; divide mixture evenly between each cavity and set aside.
- Whisk together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter, sugar, and orange zest in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Reduce speed to low and add eggs, one at a time. Beat in flour mixture in three additions, alternating with buttermilk (begin and end with flour mixture).
- Fill each cavity 2/3 full and tap pan sharply to remove air bubbles. Bake for 25-28 minutes, until cakelets are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool cakelets in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes before inverting onto rack to cool completely.
Baking pan: I used this Nordic Ware Bundlette Pan. You may have extra batter, which can be baked in mini loaf pans. Alternatively, bake batter in 3 mini (5 3/4″ x 3 3/4″) loaf pans – baking time will be 36 to 38 minutes.
Keywords: Cranberry, Caramel, Upside Down Cake, Cakelets