cranberry orange muffins
Cranberry orange muffins are perfect for the holidays! Sprinkled with cinnamon sugar and drizzled with sweet orange glaze, these muffins taste like Christmas!
Like me, you’ll be tempted to inhale one steaming hot from the oven. Singed fingertips are a small price to pay for utter breakfast bliss, especially when drizzled with orange butter glaze! As a timesaver, prep the dry ingredients the night before and Christmas breakfast will be ready in less than 20 minutes.
Perfect Cranberry Orange Muffins
- Use fresh orange zest and juice in this recipe for maximum citrus flavor.
- Place dried cranberries in a bowl and add very warm water. Let stand while making the muffin batter to plump up and rehydrate the dried fruit.
- Spray a cookie scoop with nonstick spray and use the scoop to evenly portion out the muffin batter.
- For bakery-style muffins with perfectly domed tops, start out baking at 425°F for a quick burst of heat (this helps give the muffins a nice lift!). Without opening the oven, reduce the temperature to 350°F and bake another 8 to 10 minutes, until set and a tester comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached.
- Cool muffins for 5 minutes in pan before cooling completely on a wire rack.
- Once the muffins are fully cooled, drizzle with orange glaze and enjoy!
The BEST cranberry orange muffins drizzled with orange butter glaze!
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 Tbsp very warm water
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- pinch of cloves
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp fresh orange zest
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp fresh orange zest
- 2 Tbsp fresh orange juice
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line a 12-cup standard muffin pan with baking cups; spray baking cups lightly with cooking spray. Combined dried cranberries and warm water in a small bowl; let stand until needed.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Combine buttermilk, yogurt, melted butter, egg, vanilla, and orange zest in a medium bowl; add to flour mixture and fold in until almost incorporated; fold in dried cranberries.
- Fill each baking cup 2/3 full of batter. Combine sugar and cinnamon, and sprinkle evenly over muffins. Place muffin pan in the oven and bake for 5 minutes at 425°F. Reduce temperature to 350°F and continue baking 8 to 9 minutes (for a total baking time of 13 to 14 minutes), until muffins are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached. Let muffins cool in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes before removing from pan to cool.
- For the glaze, whisk together melted butter, salt, orange zest, orange juice, and powdered sugar in a small bowl. Drizzle glaze over muffins and and let set before serving.
Keywords: Cranberry, Orange, Muffins, Breakfast