With a golden crumb topping and triple hit of coconut, coconut macadamia banana bread brings a welcome taste of the tropics to the breakfast table.
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 3 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup roasted macadamia nuts, chopped
- 3 Tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp ice water
- 1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut, toasted
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- 3/4 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup milk, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp coconut extract
- 1/2 cup roasted macadamia nuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper, letting excess extend over sides of pan. Spray parchment paper lightly with nonstick spray.
- For the topping, combine sugars, flour, salt, and macadamia nuts in a medium bowl. Add coconut oil and mix in with a fork until completely incorporated. Add ice water and mix in until well combined and topping is crumbly. Chill until ready to use.
- For the bread, combine toasted coconut and sugar in a food processor and pulse for 1 minute until coconut is finely ground. Transfer coconut-sugar to a large bowl and whisk in flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Combine mashed banana, yogurt, milk, melted coconut oil, egg, vanilla, and coconut extract in a medium bowl; add to flour mixture and fold in until almost combined. Fold in macadamia nuts.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and smooth with an offset spatula. Tap pan sharply to remove air bubbles, and sprinkle crumb topping over the batter.
- Bake for 60 to 70 minutes, until bread is golden and springs back to the touch (if desired, tent with foil after 40 minutes of baking time to prevent over-browning). Bread is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes; carefully lift bread from pan and cool completely.
Baking time may vary based on moisture content of the bananas. Begin checking bread after 60 minutes. If using bananas that were previously frozen, baking time may be up to 75 minutes.
Keywords: Coconut, Macadamia, Banana, Banana Bread, Quick Bread