- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tsp lime zest
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp lime zest
- 1/2 tsp lime juice
- 1/8 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp milk
- Lime zest or toasted coconut chips (for topping)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8-inch square metal baking pan with parchment paper. Whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl. Combine toasted coconut, sugar, and lime zest in a food processor and pulse for 1 minute. Transfer sugar mixture to a large mixer bowl and beat with butter until creamy; beat in egg and vanilla until combined. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture; beat just until incorporated.
- Scrape dough into prepared pan and use a piece of parchment paper lightly coated with nonstick spray to press dough evenly into pan. Bake bars for 20 to 22 minutes, until edges are golden, top is set, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely in baking pan on a wire rack.
- For the frosting, beat butter and salt on medium high for 30 seconds; reduce speed to low and gradually add powdered sugar until incorporated. Beat in lime zest, juice, vanilla, and milk until smooth; increase speed to medium-high and beat until light and airy. Lift parchment and place cookie bars on a cutting board. Use an offset spatula to spread frosting over bars, and sprinkle with lime zest and coconut chips. Chill for 15 minutes in the refrigerator to set frosting before cutting into squares with a sharp knife. Store leftover bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 2 days.
Toasted coconut: spread the coconut in a thin layer on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F, stirring halfway through, for about 10 minutes. Recipe adapted from BHG.
- Calories: 200
- Carbohydrates: 29