Coconut Cream Scones
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy.
Soft and pillowy coconut cream scones make the best breakfast!
Midway through my stovetop espresso ritual, I discovered the unthinkable – I had accidentally purchased decaf espresso (may it never be!). I gritted my teeth (think the emoji) and rummaged through my baking supplies for a pack of instant espresso…thankfully my tendency to keep the pantry well stocked saved the day. After that ordeal, I needed all the coffee with a side of coconut cream scones.
Inspired by my cream scones, these coconut cream scones are dairy-free and vegan, yet equally soft and light thanks to rich and creamy coconut milk.
Infused with toasted coconut and lime zest, these scones make blissful breakfast dreams. With a tangy lime drizzle and sprinkle of toasted coconut chips, even the most off-course mornings look much brighter.
Coconut Cream Scones
- Yield: 12 scones
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 3 cups flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups full fat coconut milk
- 1/8 tsp pure coconut extract
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1 1/2 tsp lime juice
- 2 Tbsp full fat coconut milk
- 2–3 drops pure coconut extract
- 3 Tbsp toasted coconut chips
- Line two rimmed baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Place sugar, toasted coconut, and lime zest in a food processor and pulse for 1 minute. Whisk together coconut-sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Combine coconut milk and coconut extract; drizzle over flour mixture and fold in just until flour is incorporated and a shaggy dough forms.
- Divide dough in half and turn out on a lightly floured board. Use lightly floured hands to pat each half into a 6-inch circle. Place the two circles of dough on prepared baking sheets and cut each circle into 6 wedges; pull the wedges slightly apart, leaving an inch between them. Chill baking sheets in the freezer for 20 minutes while preheating oven to 425°F.
- Bake for 16 minutes, rotating baking sheets halfway through, until tops are set, edges are beginning to turn golden, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool scones for 5 minutes on baking sheet before removing to a wire rack to cool. For the glaze, whisk together powdered sugar, salt, lime zest, lime juice, coconut milk, and coconut extract in a small bowl. Drizzle glaze over scones and sprinkle with toasted coconut chips.
Make ahead: Cut each circle of dough into wedges on baking sheet; cover and freeze overnight. Brush with coconut milk and bake directly from the freezer, adding 1-2 minutes to baking time. For longer storage, transfer frozen scones to a freezer bag until ready to use.
- Calories: 248
- Carbohydrates: 40
Keywords: Coconut Cream Scones, Cream Scones, Coconut, Breakfast
Craving more coconut?
Coconut Macadamia Banana Bread
Baked Coconut Doughnuts
Coconut Lime Sugar Cookie Bars
Can I add fruit to these? Blueberry or cranberry? They sound delicious!!
Hi Tina, yes you can! I like to flash freeze fresh fruit for an hour before adding to scones (I find the dough stays much neater that way). Follow the directions from my blueberry scone recipe: https://tutti-dolci.com/blueberry-lemon-cream-scones/ Happy baking! 🙂
made these this morning after seeing your instagram in Real Simple. So delicious.
I’ve probably made 15 different scone varieties and was highly skeptical of being dairy free… but I was totally wrong.
Hi Jen! So glad you liked the scones and that you found me via Real Simple :).
Don’t hesitate to make these! So, so delicious! Wonderful recipe and so simple. Mine turned out perfect. (I cheated slightly and just used toasted shredded coconut on top instead of coconut chips) After making these, I immediately signed up to receive your emails, all your recipes look outstanding!
Thanks so much, Bri! So glad you liked the scones, I appreciate your feedback! 🙂
These are amazing Laura! I love coconut and the frosting drizzle is perfect!!
Beautiful scones, Laura! <33
What is the point of decaf espresso, I wonder. 😀
Fantastic-Loking scones! All my favorite flavours in one!!!
Laura this is so exciting — I love scones but almost always use heavy cream in mine…I would LOVE to lighten it up a bit with coconut milk, can’t wait to gives these a try!
Decaf espresso… I gritted my teeth for you while reading that! I absolutely adore the sound of these scones! Coconut anything makes me and my tummy very happy 🙂
Absolutely beautiful scones!
With all those bright lit scones , any morning would look brighter! coconut and lime, awsm combination.
Decaf?! I share your pain!
But that is quickly remedied with this gorgeous scones!! You know my love for coconut, give me some!
Ahhh, decaf espresso! Never welcome in the mornings. 🙂 These coconut cream scones, however, are VERY welcome. Yum!