Classic hummingbird cake is the perfect spring layer cake! You’ll love this easy banana-pineapple spice cake with mascarpone cream cheese frosting.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1 1/4 cups melted coconut oil (or vegetable oil)
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- 12 oz crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
- 1 cup pecans, toasted and finely chopped
Mascarpone Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz full fat cream cheese, cool room temperature
- 4 oz mascarpone, cool room temperature
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, cool room temperature
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray three 8-inch round cake pans with nonstick spray. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice, and cloves in a medium bowl; make a well in the center. Combine melted coconut oil, sugar, eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla in a medium bowl. Whisk until smooth, then add to flour mixture and fold in until almost incorporated. Fold in banana, pineapple, and pecans until combined.
- Divide batter evenly between cake pans and smooth with an offset spatula. Tap pans sharply to reduce air bubbles. Bake for 26 to 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the edges are pulling slightly away from the pan. Let cakes cool in pans for 15 minutes before inverting onto wire racks to cool completely.
- For the frosting, beat cream cheese, mascarpone, butter, salt, and vanilla on medium speed until combined. Reduce speed to low; add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time and beat well, scraping down bowl as needed. If frosting is soft, chill for 30 to 40 minutes before assembling the cake.
- To assemble, place one cake layer on a cake stand or serving plate. Use an offset spatula to spread frosting over cake. Add second cake layer and repeat with frosting. Add top cake layer and frosting, swirling the frosting over the top layer. Use offset spatula to apply frosting to the sides of the cake while you rotate the cake stand, then use a bench scraper to gently smooth the edges of the cake and remove any excess frosting. Chill frosted cake for 30 minutes before serving.
- If desired, serve cake topped with fresh flowers and mini chocolate eggs. Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator.
Keywords: Banana, Pineapple, Pecan, Layer Cake, Hummingbird Cake