- 3 cups flour
- 1 Tbsp aluminum free baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 to 1 1/2 cups cold heavy cream
- 2 tsp tangerine or orange zest
- 3 oz raw honeycomb, chopped (use raw honeycomb not packed in honey)
- 1 Tbsp cold heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 4 oz white chocolate, chopped
- For the scones, line two rimmed baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Whisk flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a medium bowl. Combine vanilla extract with 1 1/3 cups heavy cream and citrus zest; drizzle cream over flour mixture and fold in just until flour is incorporated. Add chopped honeycomb and gently fold in just until a shaggy dough forms – if needed, add 2 more tablespoons cream.
- Divide dough in half and turn out on a lightly floured board. Use lightly floured hands to pat each half into a 6-inch circle. Place the two circles of dough on prepared baking sheets and cut each circle into 7 wedges. Chill baking sheets in the freezer for 20 minutes while preheating oven to 425°F.
- Pull the wedges slightly apart, leaving an inch between them, and brush lightly with heavy cream and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 16 to 18 minutes, rotating baking sheets halfway through, until tops are set, edges are beginning to turn golden, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool scones for 5 minutes on baking sheets before removing to a wire rack to cool.
- For the topping, place white chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and heat chocolate in 20 second intervals, stirring after each interval until melted and smooth (about 1 1/2 minutes). Transfer to a small piping bag and drizzle over scones; let set before serving.
Make ahead: Cut each circle of dough into wedges on baking sheet; cover and freeze overnight. Brush with cream, sprinkle with sugar, and bake directly from the freezer, adding 1-2 minutes to baking time. For longer storage, transfer frozen scones to a freezer bag until ready to use.
Recipe inspired by Orange Blossom Honeycomb Scones from the March/April 2018 issue of Bake From Scratch.
Keywords: Citrus, Honeycomb, Scone, Cream Scone, White Chocolate