- 3 1/2 cups (490 g) flour, divided
- 1 package Red Star PLATINUM Yeast
- 1/4 cup (50 g) sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup (240 g) low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup (56 g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, very soft
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp fresh orange zest
- 2 Tbsp fresh orange juice
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- Combine 2 cups (280 g) flour, yeast, sugar, and salt in a large mixer bowl; mix on low speed until incorporated. Heat milk in a microwave-safe measuring cup for 45 seconds to 1 minute, until very warm (120-130°F). Add warm milk, butter, and egg to flour mixture and mix until combined; mix in remaining 1 1/2 cups (210 g) flour. Switch out the flat beater for a dough hook, and knead dough for 5 minutes until smooth and elastic. The dough is ready when it feels tacky but doesn’t stick to your fingers (if necessary, add additional flour 1 tablespoon at a time while kneading).
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with nonstick spray and cover with plastic. Let the dough rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 40 minutes. To check if dough has doubled, lightly flour two fingers and press them down into center of dough. If indentations remain, gently press down dough; cover and let rest 5 minutes. Spray a 9-inch round cake pan with nonstick spray.
- Turn dough out on a lightly floured board and roll into an 18 x 12-inch rectangle. Spread butter over dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border at the edges. Combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl, and sprinkle over dough, pressing in gently with the rolling pin.
- Carefully roll dough up into a tight log and pinch edges to seal; place log seam side down. Starting 1 1/2 inches from the top, use a sharp knife to cut the log in half lengthwise. Gently twist the two pieces around each other and shape into a circle, tucking in the ends. Place into prepared pan, cut side up, and cover loosely with plastic. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 30 minutes. While the bread rises, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until golden. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool for 20 minutes before removing from pan. For the glaze, whisk together melted butter, salt, orange zest, orange juice, and powdered sugar in a small bowl. Drizzle glaze over bread and and let set before serving.
Keywords: Bread, Sweet Bread, Easter, Cinnamon, Sugar, Orange