Cinnamon Sugar Crumb Cake
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy.
I hope your coffee is prepped because you’ll want a steaming mug to pair with this cinnamon sugar crumb cake! With all the buttery crumbs and a cinnamon-sugar ribbon (plus a touch of chocolate!), this plush vanilla cake is destined to become your go-to loaf cake.
After all, what’s not to love about an anytime cake that transitions easily from a mid-afternoon treat to dessert? And if you find yourself with leftover slices, I can’t think of a more tempting weekend breakfast than crumb cake.
Cinnamon Sugar Crumb Cake
- Yield: 1 loaf, 12 slices
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 3 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips (or regular chocolate chips, chopped)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray. For the crumb topping, whisk together sugar, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt in a small bowl; add melted butter and vanilla, and toss mixture with a fork until crumbly. Chill topping in the freezer until needed.
- For the cake, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter and sugar in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until light and fluffy; beat in egg, and vanilla. Combine yogurt and buttermilk in a small bowl. Reduce speed to low and add half of flour mixture, beating just to combine. Add yogurt mixture, then finish with remaining flour mixture.
- Spoon half the batter into prepared baking pan and smooth with an offset spatula; tap pan sharply. Combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl, and sprinkle a spoonful over the batter. Add chocolate, then add another layer of cinnamon-sugar. Spoon remaining batter into pan and smooth with an offset spatula; tap pan sharply to remove air bubbles. Sprinkle a spoonful of cinnamon-sugar over the batter, then add chilled crumb topping.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, until edges are golden, cake springs back to the touch, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes; carefully remove cake from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
Recommended: Place cooling rack over a piece of parchment paper to catch any crumbs that fall off as you remove cake from the pan – simply sprinkle them back on the cake (or eat and enjoy!).
- Calories: 240
- Carbohydrates: 36
Keywords: Cinnamon, Sugar, Crumb Cake, Loaf Cake
Craving more crumb cake?
Peach Crumb Cake
Irish Cream Crumb Cake
Berry Buttermilk Crumb Cake
Would this work well to bake the day ahead?
Hi Amber, yes you can bake this cake a day ahead – let it cool completely, and then store in an airtight container overnight.
Looks so tasty! I love the versatility of coffee cake, perfect for a brunch or an evening dessert. One of my faves!
I love a good crumb cake! Can’t wait to try this one! Looks fabulous!
A slice of your crumb cake and a cup of tea would be a lovely way to start the day.
Your kitchen must be always filled with delicious treats. My daughter loves cinnamon in her sweets, and I can imagine she’d looooooove this cake! You should know that I’m always drooling seeing your new delicious recipes when you sent out email. I’m serious. 😀
Laura, this looks so sweet and light! And what a perfect chocolatey cinnamon ribbon. I would love to start my day this way! 🙂
Oh wow, I’ve never had crumb cake with chocolate! What a fabulous way to enjoy a cup of coffee.
I have my coffee at the ready and enjoying a piece of this delicious crumb cake virtually until I can get in the kitchen and make some. Perfect!
The cinnamon sugar chocolate ribbon in the middle sounds divine, and so does the crumb! I know my husband would love this cake with coffee! ITs his favorite kind of cake 🙂
I adore that cinnamon sugar ribbon!! Perfect for Mother’s Day. Now if I could only get someone to bake it for me 😉
Oh my gosh. That ripple is perfection. This cake sounds perfect!
I’m quite certain there wouldn’t be anything left for a weekend breakfast. This looks so… good!
This brings back such memories, Laura, my grandmother used to make a cake just like this, and I can taste it in my mind, just looking at your photos!
I have lots of favorite desserts and breakfast treats, but crumb cake has always been at the tippy top of the list Laura! And this crumb cake with the ribbon of chocolate and cinnamon looks amazing! Can’t wait to enjoy this with my morning coffee!