I hope your coffee is prepped because you’ll want a steaming mug to pair with this cinnamon sugar crumb cake! With all the buttery crumbs and a cinnamon-sugar ribbon (plus a touch of chocolate!), this plush vanilla cake is destined to become your go-to loaf cake.
After all, what’s not to love about an anytime cake that transitions easily from a mid-afternoon treat to dessert? And if you find yourself with leftover slices, I can’t think of a more tempting weekend breakfast than crumb cake.
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 3 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips (or regular chocolate chips, chopped)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray. For the crumb topping, whisk together sugar, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt in a small bowl; add melted butter and vanilla, and toss mixture with a fork until crumbly. Chill topping in the freezer until needed.
- For the cake, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter and sugar in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until light and fluffy; beat in egg, and vanilla. Combine yogurt and buttermilk in a small bowl. Reduce speed to low and add half of flour mixture, beating just to combine. Add yogurt mixture, then finish with remaining flour mixture.
- Spoon half the batter into prepared baking pan and smooth with an offset spatula; tap pan sharply. Combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl, and sprinkle a spoonful over the batter. Add chocolate, then add another layer of cinnamon-sugar. Spoon remaining batter into pan and smooth with an offset spatula; tap pan sharply to remove air bubbles. Sprinkle a spoonful of cinnamon-sugar over the batter, then add chilled crumb topping.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, until edges are golden, cake springs back to the touch, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes; carefully remove cake from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
Recommended: Place cooling rack over a piece of parchment paper to catch any crumbs that fall off as you remove cake from the pan – simply sprinkle them back on the cake (or eat and enjoy!).
- Calories: 240
- Carbohydrates: 36
Keywords: Cinnamon, Sugar, Crumb Cake, Loaf Cake
Craving more crumb cake?