Chocolate peppermint bundt cake is a holiday dream! This double chocolate bundt cake features a peppermint cream cheese swirl and sweet peppermint glaze for a delicious taste of the season.
I love the peppermint cream cheese swirl for a nice contrast to the rich, decadent chocolate bundt cake (also a nod to my chocolate pound cake). The peppermint butter glaze makes the perfect finish, especially when topped with crushed peppermint candy canes!
Bundt Cake Success
- Bring your ingredients for the cream cheese swirl and bundt cake to room temperature before beginning.
- To create the cream cheese swirl, spoon half of the cake batter into the prepared bundt pan. Smooth the batter with an offset spatula and tap the pan sharply to reduce air bubbles. Top with cream cheese mixture, dropping by spoonfuls over the batter and use a toothpick to very gently swirl the layers together. Spoon the remaining cake batter evenly over the cream cheese swirl, carefully smoothing with an offset spatula. Tap the pan sharply again to reduce air bubbles.
- Bake cake until the top springs back to the touch. A tester inserted in the center should come out with a few crumbs attached. Your baking time may vary depending on the shape of your bundt pan, so start testing for doneness after 40 minutes.
- Let the cake cool completely before adding the peppermint glaze and crushed peppermint topping. I recommend adding the glaze and topping just before serving, especially in humid climates.
- This bundt cake can be made one day in advance. Let cool completely and store at room temperature overnight. Add the glaze and peppermint topping just before serving.
The best chocolate peppermint bundt cake! A rich chocolate bundt cake with a cream cheese swirl and delicious peppermint glaze!
Cream Cheese Ribbon
- 5 oz reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 Tbsp heavy cream
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- 2 cups flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 10 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 2 oz semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- 1/8 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp milk
- Crushed peppermint candy canes, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 10-cup bundt pan generously with nonstick spray.
- For the cream cheese ribbon, combine cream cheese, heavy cream, sugar, and peppermint extract in a food processor and process until smooth.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter and sugar in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Reduce speed to low and add eggs one at a time; add vanilla. Beat in flour mixture in three additions, alternating with buttermilk (begin and end with flour mixture), just until incorporated. Add boiling water and mix in on low speed just until smooth. Fold in chopped chocolate.
- Spoon half of the batter into prepared bundt pan and smooth with an offset spatula; tap pan sharply to reduce air bubbles. Top batter with cream cheese mixture, dropping by spoonfuls over the batter. Use a toothpick to very gently swirl the cream cheese mixture into the batter. Spoon remaining batter evenly over the cream cheese swirl and carefully smooth with an offset spatula. Tap pan sharply again to reduce air bubbles.
- Bake for about 44 to 48 minutes, until cake springs back to the touch, and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes; carefully invert onto rack and cool completely.
- For the glaze, whisk together melted butter, salt, extracts, powdered sugar, and milk in a small bowl. Drizzle glaze over cake and sprinkle with crushed candy canes; let set before serving.
Keywords: Chocolate, Peppermint, Bundt Cake, Bundt, Holiday Dessert